Treasure Chest Thursday Grandpa's Coin

Thursday, June 3, 2010




This is a true treasure to me. You see, the coin was carried by my Gr Gr Grandfather, Andrew S. Davis, in his shoe during the Civil War. He was a member of the Iowa Company E, 4th Infantry for the Union. He signed in at the age of 40 and mustered out as a full Corporal. He was also a flag holder at the Grand Army Parade in Washington DC at the end of the war. My cousin atually has possesion of this coin and he will pass it along to his son, also named Andrew.

The envelope reads: "This 50 cent piece was carried by Grandfather Davis in Shermans March to the sea. Also - up the coast to Washington to be mustered out at the close of the war.______" We believe the writing on the envelope is that of my Grandpa, Stuart Davis.

Don't you just think this is cool? I sure do.

1 comments:

Michelle Goodrum said...

This is cooler than cool! Thanks for sharing.